Welcome to Ace Community

Home of Clan 13sA, SeAs, DotaAce, BoAt
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 am

Post subject: Battleships Development Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:57 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

Official message dump from SilverLeaf Studios, the team working on 13sA's Battleships.

Version Alpha 1.0 - final items almost complete, trade system halfway
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/past ... ?id=h38zzd

Currently, just making a battleships map with arrow key movement among several of our own added features.
Latest version will ALWAYS be posted on this first post.

It will later in the future be expanded upon to include a full sandbox (not story driven) style battleships semi RPG.

Current state: Beta Test

Alpha Release schedule: (NOT DONE WORK IN PROGRESS DONE)

Model sourcing
Empire units 100%
Heroes 100%
Items 80%
Trigger systems 100%
Trigger placement 90%
Doodad placement 100%
Doodad design 100%

Last edited by silverleaf on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Battleships RPG Development Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:56 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

Allright!!! Saturday!!! Two weeks in development now!!!

Time for an update.

Today, music was imported to moderate success, it plays but still require help to make it work well. Not to worry, I'll just keep spamming Hive till someone helps me.

Terrain was re-done today, map was blown up to 4x normal size yesterday. Therefore we can have a slight increase in doodad size. Still won't be very large, but at least not puny anymore. So no longer ol buggy 1/4 of normal size, its kinda half now. That brings our total map area to 8x standard vanilla size.

Should be big enough, I hope.

Anyway, the main priority now is to finish all the terrain texture work before doodads can go in. I'm almost done already, should be finished today or tomorrow. I aim to start being able to put doodads, trees and other stuff on the map tomorrow. That will take about 2-3 days.

The outlook is bright, we should have something to play with by next week or the week after at worst. It will be buggy and half baked with only a small playable area, but its just a preliminary test to make sure everything is working as it should be. Hey at least its something to play with and not just pretty pictures anymore.

On a side note balance was also completed today, with units' speed, range and attacks sorted out. It ain't great but is good enough for alpha. Not the time to be working on that now, but since I was waiting for a few replies on Hive, might as well make alpha a bit more playable.

Hopefully, everything will sort it self out and we'll have a map that will revolutionize battleships as we know it.
I can already visualize it now, battleships with 30x (hay not exaggerating most BS maps are 'small' or 'medium' this is 4x epic) the playspace, proper RPG systems, trading and quests... soverenity... its going to be one hell of a fight.

No pretty pictures to show as all existing doodads have been improved and removed from the map. I will start loading them in once I'm done painting the texture.

In short, much was learnt and accomplished today, a few more days like this and we'll be at alpha before we know it. Time to start driving up hype among our clans.

If you want to be part of something big and help make it trully groundbreaking, now is the time to join.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

Come on people at least show some interest. Or maybe our battleship days are too far gone already.

Anyway I'll go drive up hype when I actually have something to show.

Today, nothing to play with, but I've finally finished texturing the main map, its rather hard making it look realistic without cliffs everywhere. Instead we have gradient elevations. Anyway so I put the deep and shallow water where they should be, a great task by itself. Also put doodads on the map today (YAY AT LAST) and completed the terraining for the southern desert kingdoms and the tropical kingdom.

I'm hoping to finish terraining tomorrow or the day after and then get on with choosing a zone for the alpha test to focus on. Through testing and hype driving I will complete the rest of the map.

So glad to say people, we're over half done. If you have any naval theemed or piraty songs (especially if theres no lyrics, just a real catchy tune as it will be loop music) send em in to silverleaf321@gmail.com

Thanks if this progress keeps up internal tests can start next week, or the week after at worst. Depends on how much we want to put in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:56 pm  

Ultimate Vampire Slayer

Ultimate Vampire Slayer

erm... the music u can take from Cut Throat Island

handbook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

Haha interesting. Will take a look.

Anyways, status update today.

Much terraining was done, though sadly not the entire map. Maybe won't even get that tomorrow. But its still progress. Terrained one of the biggest continents, filling up the islands now. However lag from world editor has limited my brush size, because I'm already at 50,000 doodads, compared to vanilla's maximum of 12k if I'm not mistaken.

No lag in game though. Not yet, anyway. But this isn't designed from some computer from the stone age.

Once terraining is finished I'll go drive up hype from the various surviving battleships clans and see if they want an alliance and be part of it. Till then we're on our own.

Anyway pretty pictures for today, incomplete but just to show how we're doing...

So any thoughts so far? What do you think needs improvement?

Animals, birds and some other terrain features comes after everything else is done. Just trying to push out alpha ASAP.

Last edited by silverleaf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 am  

Grunt

Grunt

Just an update.

A prototype is being done while my terrainer does the terrain. Should have it out soon, a much scaled down version of the full game just for a tryout first.

Last edited by silverleaf on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:00 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

Empire quarter
Mirosica City
[img]
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7715 ... uarter.jpg[/img]

This is the place given to the empires by Mirosica to serve as their base of operations in the city state itself.

Last edited by silverleaf on Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 am  

Grunt

Grunt

Just an update. Cities are going to be much more elaborate than before, and so the number of cities have been reduced to 3. Just one for the initial release.

Heres a pic.

As you can see, it is divided into 5 districts. The fort stands guard over the northern pass, where pirates will pour through. Looks rather simple, not sure what to do with it yet. To the top left will be the docking area for airships and part of the higher city. Bottom left is the docks and shipbuilding facilities. At the very middle more houses (will have uses in quests, raids etc) forming the lower city. And the other (nearly) completed district to the bottom left is the diplomatic quarter given to the other 2 neutral nations. The two factions are going to have lots of quests centered around here.

A strip of farmland, mining area and lumbermill will supply the city at the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:41 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

For the demo map, the central island.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:57 pm  

Traxex the Ranger

Traxex the Ranger

looks awesome.. sorry, i can't help.. =/ i'll try to get myself back onto wc3 so i can test the map for u soon.. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm  

Grunt

Grunt

Allright people, status update time.

After a brief hiatus, work has resumed in full-ish force. I'm pouring through old maps for good triggers to import, particularly sked's original map. Can learn a lot from that.
Anyway, units and items are DONE!!! for the alpha anyway. Maybe more weapons will be added later, much much more for beta but as for the alpha test, items and units are done.

Much of the triggering is done now, and so is the basic terraining. Once again, not going to make it VERY pretty as there are still going to be more imports and resizes before beta. I also got hold of and customized a good arrowkey and camera system. I have it working in a separate (aborted) project which was closed very early in development, but it will do very nicely. You can thank HiveWorkshop for that.

Now, what kinda spawn triggers would you folks like to see? :P

At this rate, it will be playable within the week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:43 am  

Grunt

Grunt

OK playable alpha is done. While playable and does demonstrate the capabilities of the map, it is far from actually playable or fun for more than 10 minutes. It needs intensive testing before we can roll out the beta.

The plan for the next month is to complete and make the standard arena 'gap of mirosica' fun. Some new items, bosses, events added. Maybe some new units, and maybe have air units in time for beta testing. Then, we can start driving up hype with the other battleship clans. At the moment, that is not a good idea, as we don't want people to trashtalk about how the pre-alpha map SUCKS.

For now, things that need to be tested:
-camera system with many people
-kick system

Thanks for keeping the faith where the rest of my crappy team have failed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 am  

Grunt

Grunt

Last edited by silverleaf on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.